Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Reflection 27/11/12

   In today's class we read a chapter in the book From Word to Image by Begleiter, which explored the "interworkings of Text, Diagram and Image in the process of preproduction visualisation". After reading through the shot list terminology for scale, angles, camera movement and character blocking, we did an activity where we had to create a storyboard, shot list and an overhead diagram for a 10-shot scene.
   I chose Orson Welles' ferris wheel in The Third Man (1949), and through this activity, not only did I improve my pre-production skills and knowledge, I also revised and learned many useful terminologies such as High Hat shot ( a very low angle shot) and a zolly ( when the camera dollies in but zooms out at the same time). The video below is a famous zolly shot which evinces fear and suspense.
   Although I was unclear of how to draw a overhead diagram, I tried my best efforts and employed the shotlist and storyboard to help the reader understand how the actual film would look like.

The actual scene (first 52 seconds):


No comments:

Post a Comment