Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reflection 11/9/12


   We spent today's lesson learning about key editing techniques, then doing an exercise which involved us identifying and illustrating these techniques employed in either the film Double Indemnity or the clips that we shot last class. This activity was very helpful as it gave me a stronger grasp on the plethora of diverse techniques used in cinematography. Not only did I gain knowledge on what each editing technique was, I also learned the effect of each. For example, I learned that dissolve is a transition between two shots in which the first image gradually disappears while the second gradually appears, effectively replacing the former. In addition, I discovered that the main purpose of dissolve is to link the two scenes together, but it can also suggest hallucination or inebriation.
   As an IB learner, I was an open-minded communicator today. After learning and illustrating the several key techniques used in editing, I actively shared and discussed my work with my peers. We had disagreements (such as arguing over whether a specific cut was a cheat cut) but being open-minded, I accepted their views and debated until we reached a conclusion, which was often helped by Ms Wong.

Source used: http://classes.yale.edu/film-analysis/htmfiles/editing.htm


These three images show dissolve being utilized in Double Indemnity.   


No comments:

Post a Comment